LAMAS Local History Committee
Membership of the LAMAS Local History Committee
The Local History Committee is a sub-committee of the governing LAMAS Council and is responsible for presenting concerns specific to Local History to the Council. The committee is on the lookout for new members to represent the views of local history societies in the Greater London area; if you are interested or know of someone who maybe willing to join the committee please get in touch.
The Committee meets three times a year and in between times members carry forward the decisions of the committee. Whilst not essential it is useful for members to have an e-mail address as there are often matters to discuss and agree between meetings. Members attend the committee either as a representative of their affiliated Local History Society or as an individual member of LAMAS. The current membership is:
- Eileen Bowlt (Chair) – Ruislip LHS/LAMAS
- Lorraine Woodleigh
- Roger Chapman
- John Price (online Contact) – Goldsmiths, University of London
- Graham Javes – LAMAS
- John Peach
- Alex Werner – Museum of London
- Richard Gilpin – Greenwich Historical Society
- Pat Gough (Secretary) – Leyton and Leytonstone Historical Society
LAMAS Local History Events;
- The Committee is responsible for organising the annual Local History Conference, which usually takes place in November each year. This full day conference is always devoted to a particular theme.
- The Committee offers two Publications Awards of £100 pounds; one for the best single topic publication by a member of an Affiliated Society, and one for the best bulletins or journals produced by an Affiliated Society. To be eligible, the publication should have been published within the last year by an Affiliated Local History Society, or self-published by a member or members of such a Society. Each prize is awarded for the publication that best shows evidence of original research, and analysis of the results, as they apply to the local context and the wider picture of the ‘Local History’ of Greater London.
- Regular Local History Workshops, restricted to members of Affiliated Societies and to LAMAS members.
List of affiliated Local History Societies
Any Local History Society in the Greater London area is welcome to become an Affiliated Society of LAMAS, and receive the benefits of such affiliation. Go to the List of Affiliated Societies to find out more.